Friday, February 12, 2010

Teaching is Tough

31/1/2010

School is well under way now, though I think probably about a third of the students have yet to show up. But almost all of the teachers are here and teaching is under way. I only have my form 3 physics class twice a week and then I've been teaching the form 1 orientation once or twice a day. I'm not the only one teaching that anymore, a schedule has been drawn up and I only get 1 or 2 periods a day. And I think only about half of the form ones have shown up so they haven't divided them into streams yet. While this means I only have to teach each lesson once, instead of three times, one to each stream, the class is quite large now, around 70 or 80 kids, which makes teaching quite tough. I think once the orientation is over and I'm teaching math and physics to smaller classes it will get a bit easier, but it will still be hard.

I finally started my garden last week too. I didn't do much of the work, instead 7 form one kids came over and did most of the work. At the end of the day students have to do chores around the school, and these kids were excited to get to help me garden instead. They cleared all my weeds and then tilled my garden. Then I tried to explain the perma-garden method we learned and together we sort-of have one bed of a permagarden. With the rest of my space they just planted seeds how they do in their fields at home. This group of kids are now like my enforcers in class, yelling at everyone to quiet down.

This coming thursday, we are having a staff vs students soccer game, which should be interesting. Aside from 2 or 3 teachers, most of the staff doesn't seem the soccer type. And I'm quite out of shape myself, but it should be fun. The next day though, I have to get up at 4 to try and make my way to moshi for a H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine the next day, provided by peace corps. The 3 buses I need to take could be even more uncomfortable than usual if I'm as sore from soccer as I think I'll be. But I'm excited to see moshi at least. Its a big touristy place so you can get all sort of western style food, so I plan to splurge and eat well while there and by a few goodies for my site too.

That's all for now, might do a bit of cleaning before bathing. Then its off to the neighbors to watch the African Cup of Nations final: Egypt Nigeria. Should be a good one. Watching this tournament has been making me excited for the World Cup, and I should find out this week if I got tickets so stay tuned.

Ciao!