Saturday, March 13, 2010

Thiefs, tire shoes, and banana bread

14-3-2010
Good morning. Sorry its been a bit since my last post, i had one typed
and was going to upload it when i went to town last week but there was
no power. Ill upload that post next time i go.

I went to mnada, our big market that comes twice a month, on friday.
It was extra crowded because its bean season so everyone has money.
When i got there some guy was being a jerk, but thats kinda normal.
But when he walked away another guy was like "wheres ur phone?" and it
wasnt in my pocket anymore so me m that guy started running after
whomever took it. Then the guy who was being a jerk n i think was the
thief just walked up n gave me my phone back. It was really weird. The
only explanation i could think of was that since he didnt get away
cleanly, he didnt want to be murdered by a mob of angry tanzanians,
which is the common fate of unlucky thieves here.

Other than that, the rest of the day was great. I hung out with tara n
amy, two other nearby volunteers who finish soon, n theyre both full
of energy n heaps of fun. I also bought a kithenge to make into a new
shirt next time i go to town. And i got my first pair of tire shoes.
Theyre sandals literally made from strips of old tires and are what
everyone wears here. Im walking around now as i type trying to break
them in a bit.

I also baked a loaf of banana bread the other day that turned out
perfectly. Im getting the hang of this "cooking" stuff, although it
sometimes still takes a bit to get my fire going.

Thats all for now, im gonna go see if the pipe where i get water has
started working yet n if so the rest of the morning will be spent
carrying water n doing laundry. And stay tuned for pictures. Last time
i had internet in town i set up a picassa gallery n uploaded some
pictures but ran out of time before i could make it public. I think
ill be back there in two weeks n ill try n do it then. For now,
cheers.